Ian has been in the hospitality industry since mid 1970's and achieved success in many roles; but predominantly where he loves it best, in the kitchen! Ian completed his formal Chef training passing City & Guilds of London to level 706/3 advanced cookery. His culinary journey took him to Australia & Raratonga and then back to Wellington where he was Chef & co-owner of Petit Lyon, an icon in the NZ dining scene in the 80's & 90's. The new millenium arrives and Ian lends his skills to the Wairarapa Region. For the next 7 years Ian is absorbed in the food, wine, accommodation industry in Martinborough & Greytown
Debbie has a different background however her Grandparents owned and operated a cafe & ice cream parlour in a small seaside destination 'Cold Knap' Barry, South Wales for many many years. In 1996 Debbie's career path took her from the Financial Services industry in Cardiff to Financial Servies in Wellington NZ spending over 20 years in the corporate world in successful management roles where customer service was always paramount
We have been in business at TopSail since 2007 and are proud to be acknowledged by our guests as Northland's top dining experience
Debbie & Ian at TopSail since 2007
"For our guests we strive to deliver an exquisite dining experience showcasing our beautiful food in the most idyllic surrounds to create unforgettable memories".
* New Zealand is our local. We have many relationships with local supplies (Northland & Nationally) that allow us to use the freshest & best produce
* we take the opportunity of the seasons and change dishes regularly
* we actively seek out artisan growers, wine makers, farmers and other producers and create delicious & innovative dishes for you to enjoy
* we serve 18 wines by the glass, all yummy & with great food compatability
* we make our own breads, pates, terrines, chutneys, jams, sauces & dressings and our chickens lay our eggs!
* our herbs are home grown and our garden provides dailty titbits
* our food is cooked to order and we happily cater to specific dietary requirements
* we are mindful of the plant's sustainability in all our decision making & actions. Most noticeably is our 'undressed' napkins, washed by us in hot water and sun-dried, no harsh chemicals used. And we no longer use plastic straws
* all our seasonal preserves, many featured on this menu, are available for retail sale under our label...
....the lanky chef
* we choose to not participate in national competitions, every night we endeavour to achieve our best performance
* Ian dressed by Debbie!
Honest Modern unfussy